Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2012 11:59:38 +0300
From:      Atte =?iso-8859-1?Q?Peltom=E4ki?= <atte.peltomaki@iki.fi>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org>, Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@FreeBSD.org>, Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@gmail.com>, openrc@gentoo.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing rc(8) (Was: FreeBSD Boot Times)

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 03:53:26PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> It's unfortunate that this thread evolved into a discussion about
> replacing rc.d, since that's almost certainly not relevant to the
> original topic of improving the overall boot time.

Improving boot times can be done in two ways:

1) Implement proper service dependency handling framework
2) Implement ad-hoc service dependencies

Second choice is obviously not kosher for all things BSD.

*if* the first choice can be implemented into existing rc with
reasonable amount of work and non-intrusively, it could be a viable
approach.

Otherwise it would make more sense to go ahead and implement a real
improvement over existing system. In my view, this is a similar issue to
what UFS2 had; rather breathe some life into old system without taking
much risks and have ZFS take over later as a real improvement.

In any case, improving boot times is the very least significant benefit
from implementing service dependencies, especially for an OS such as
FreeBSD which isn't meant to be rebooted except during OS upgrade.

--
Atte Peltomäki
     atte.peltomaki@iki.fi <> http://kameli.org