Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:28:41 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        Oliver von Bueren <maillist@ovb.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FSM illegal state, state = ST_U10

From the keyboard of Oliver von Bueren:

> To start with it, I've the following error message:
> i4b-L3 next_l3state: FSM illegal state, state = ST_U10 - Active, event
> = EV_ILL - Illegal event!!!
 [...]
> I suspect that this state, i4b is put onhold, is not implemented
> because it does (normaly) not take place in the public phone network,
> though it can also be reproduced on the Swiss ISDN connection. Is
> there an easy way of "fixing" this, or at least getting rid of the log
> entry in messages/syslog without turning off all the other possible
> entries that might be produced in a real problem situation? I've
> studied a few files, esp. isdnd/fsm.c, but can't quite see the
> connection to the layer below jet.

You are quite right, this is not implemented. Obviously, when the phone
put on hold, a NOTIFY message is sent. This message is not handled in
the kernel and triggers an illegal event to the D-channel layer 3 state
machine. Nothing more is going on than just to send the message you are
seeing.

The solution would be to either extend the D-channel layer 3 state machine
with support for a NOTIFY message or - even better since there are a couple
of more messages which can safely be ignored - to introduce an "ignore"
event for which no action is taken.

This all takes place in the kernel, you may want to have a look at dir
/usr/src/sys/i4b/layer3, especially file i4b_q931.c.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 55 97 47-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 55 97 47-77