Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:11:02 -0800
From:      Oliver Iberien <oliver-forward@charter.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kde plugins -- getting konqueror to play .wmv files?

I have installed mplayer, its codecs, and kmplayer from the ports on FreeBSD
6.0, and am trying to get konqueror to play embedded wmv's.

I get an error saying that the plugin for application type x-mplayer2 has not
been found. I checked the kmplayer port to see where it put the plugin. It's
at /usr/local/lib/kde3/libkmplayerpart.so. I check the plugin paths. Not only
is /usr/local/lib/kde3/ not included, konqueror seems to have registered only
one plugin, "Netscape plugins."

I add this path and tell it to scan for new plugins. It gets to 20%, then
crashes, starts up and crashes, and does this a few more times. It seems to
take chunks of my file associations with it, as I start getting random
"application type octet-stream" errors when KDE applications start, and I
have to go fix that
(http://www.mepislovers.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15061&forum=9).

Does anyone know how to get konqueror to accept plugins, this one especially,
and get this to work?

Oliver