Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:02:51 -0700
From:      Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>
To:        Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live.com>
Cc:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuring for the Compaq Presario 7360 audio device?

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 04:46:04PM -0700, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> > > Has anyone successfully configured FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE for the audio
> > capture
> > > device (audio line in) that's in the Compaq Presario 7360?  This device
> > > appears to be on the motherboard, and I believe it's an ESS Allegro PCI
> > > audio device.
> [...]
> >Ross, if I'm understanding you correctly, you need to (a) remove the sbc
> >device and (b) put this line in /boot/loader.conf:
> >
> >snd_maestro3_load="YES"
>
> I tried this, but unfortunately the kernel wedged during booting (at "ppi0:
> <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0").
>
> >You could try a 'kldload snd_maestro3' from the command-line
>
> I tried that too, but it also wedged the kernel.  I got a console message
> pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> port 0x1000-0x10ff irq 5 at device 13.0 on
> pci0
> and then the kernel wedged.
>
> Any ideas (before I go out and buy a new sound card)?
>
>          Ross.

There is the option of trying out the drivers from 4Front Technology
(http://www.opensound.com).  You will need to rebuild your kernel
with no sound driver and then install theirs.  If it works, you
will need to pay them about $15.

Of course this may not address the problem for others that run into
it.

Tim
--
  Snail: Tim Pozar / LNS / 1978 45th Ave / San Francisco CA 94116 / USA
               POTS: +1 415 665 3790  Radio: KC6GNJ / KAE6247