Date:      Fri, 2 Dec 2005 22:00:10 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Peter Clutton" <peterclutton@gmail.com>, "Stevan Tiefert" <stevan.tiefert@freenet.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD telnetd and Microsoft Internet Explorer

Whoah whoah whoah!!!!

Guys, I have several 5.4 servers.

Hitting them with IE 6.0.2800.1106 ftp client I
get NO PROBLEMS seeing dot files.  I DO NOT see
the behavior that the OP claims.  NOR do I see the
behavior that you guys are claiming either of IE's
FTP client being bad.  Nor do I see this behavior
on a 6.0 FreeBSD server.

I respectfully submit that both you and the OP are
off your rockers. You guys, probably because you don't
know how to setup Windows properly.  (which is understandable)
The OP probably because he doesen't know how to setup FreeBSD
properly, plus has borked some settting in his IE.  Note
he hasn't posted the IE version.  Note he hasn't setup a
test login on his FTP server and invited anyone to try it
and see if they are getting the same problem.  Can you
say "Troll bait"?  I knew you could.

AND YES, I did try a few FTP sites on that URL.  No problem
with any of them.

AND NO I do not recommend IE as a FTP client either.  And I
respectfully submit that a recommendation against IE from
someone who must apparently know how to set it up properly
should IMHO carry more weight than one from someone who
apparently doesen't know how to set it up properly.

If you think IE's FTP client is so bad then post a few sites
and I'll go to them and put up some screen captures of my IE.
Go ahead, prove I'm wrong.  I'd like to see it crash.
I dare you.

And Stevan, STFU until your willing to post a test login
on this allegedly bad FreeBSD system of yours.

Ted