Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 15:36:07 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dyoung6@bigpond.net.au>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "Gerry Freymann" <freymann@eagle.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE causes a Kernel Panic

As with virtually all documentation, the writers fail to provide ALL the
information needed
by someone unfamiliar with the subject. In this case there is insufficient
said about any
config files except ppp.conf. eg what happens with r.conf, what IP addresses
are to be
assigned to the two NICs, what goes in resolv.conf / ppp.linkup / etc ??

According to the official docs, all that needs to be added to the kernel
config file is "options
NETGRAPH" ... however that is a sure way to get error messages on boot
"module_register: module netgraph already exists!
linker_file_sysinit "netgraph.ko" failed to register! 17"

I found what looks like the solution to these messages at freebsddiary.org
"The above netgraph message can be eliminated by adding the following to
your kernel file,
eliminating the need to load the netgraph ether module, which you will need
for pppoe to
function anyway.
  NETGRAPH_ETHER

  In other words, these are the options that you will need to obviate the
need to load any modules.

  options NETGRAPH
  options NETGRAPH_ETHER
  options NETGRAPH_PPPOE
  options NETGRAPH_SOCKET

That sounds like FUD to me; I've never had Netgraph problems except for:

* when I was using it as a KLD, and I forgot to rebuild the module when I
updated my kernel.

* when it was broken briefly in -current due to SMPng locking changes

If you have problems with it, you should be talking to the developers.
I'm using PPPoE right now, and all it took to configure was to kldload the
relevant modules
or add them to my kernel configuration (and set up the PPP information per
the documentation).

> OpenBSD doesn't use it (possibly a security related issue)

I doubt it; probably just because no-one has yet ported NetGraph to
OpenBSD.

Whilst OpenBSD mailing list archives are a dogs breakfast, I stumbled across
a posting
from Brian Somers that suggested the OpenBSD developers didn't want
netgraph. There
wasn't any further explanation but it sorta sounded like it was a security
issue.