Date:      Thu, 07 Feb 2008 14:42:30 +0000
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Yar Tikhiy <yar@freebsd.org>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, Jeff Roberson <jeff@freebsd.org>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Remove NTFS kernel support

--=-JZcY1Bk03LPL/MIaQ2VE

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 02:00 +0100, Attilio Rao wrote:
> As exposed by several users, NTFS seems to be broken even before first
> VFS commits happeing around the end of December. Those commits exposed
> some problems about NTFS which are currently under investigation.
> Ultimately, This filesystem is also unmaintained at the moment.
>=20
> Speaking with jeff, we agreed on what can be a possible compromise:
> remove the kernel support for NTFS and maybe take care of the FUSE
> implementation.
> What I now propose is a small survey which can shade a light on us
> about what do you think about this idea and its implications:
> - Do you use NTFS?
Yes
> - Are you interested in maintaining it?
No, wouldn't know how
> - Do you know a good reason to not use FUSE ntfs implementation? What
> the kernel counter part adds?
Didn't work last time I tried, running RELENG_7 and the NTFS support in
base does everything I need, don't experience any problems. I don't like
the idea of=20
> - Do you think axing the kernel support a good idea?
>=20
Truthfully, no not really. If no-one wishes to maintain it/fix it now,
then I'd prefer it to be disconnected from the build until it annoys
someone enough. Apparently its already broken and unusable, but WFM.
/dev/ad4s1 on /mnt/windows (ntfs, local, read-only)

If the base NTFS support was axed, would the fuse-kmod, or equivalent,
find its way into the base?

> Thanks,
> Attilio
>=20