Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:08:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Heyer <john@arnie.jfive.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Digital HiNote 433 and 3.X Installation Problems

I'm trying to (finally) upgrade my DEC HiNote Laptop from 2.2.8 to 3.4 by
doing just a clean install.  I can do all the hard disk stuff and select
the installation method, but as soon as it starts unpacking "bin" it
hangs.  I thought it might be a networking problem and even tried
installing from floppies...same thing.  Any advice how do dance around
possible hardware issues, or anything else?  It's a i486/33, 8 MB, 250
MB.  I also tried installing 3.0 and that couldn't get past the "probing
hardware", and OpenBSD installs but hangs when making the devices.  I
can install FreeBSD 2.2.8, NetBSD 1.4.1, and DOS without any problems.

--
Johh Heyer - john@arnie.jfive.com - http://www.jfive.com

"Me fail English?  That's unpossible!"  -- Ralph Wiggam