Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:09:41 -0400
From:      "C. A. Daelhousen" <cd9@buffalo.edu>
To:        Crispin Bennett <crispin@crisweb.webcentral.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Resizing BSD slices & partitions?

At approximately Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 08:43:29PM +1000, Crispin Bennett scribbled:
> Hi,
>
> I installed FreeBSD (4.6.2 stable) on my notebook less than a week ago,
> and am so impressed I'm already using it more than the Win XP
> installation I have on the same machine.
>
> However, I installed FreeBSD on too small a partition (thinking at the
> time it was just an experiment). If I have to I'll shrink the Win XP
> partition, and re-install FreeBSD, but I'd really rather avoid having to
> compile Gnome2 again!
>
> If this was a Linux partition I'd just use Partition Magic to resize --
> but I don't know enough about the BSD slicing/partitioning scheme to
> know if this is possible. Partition Magic does recognise the BSD slice,
> and offers the option to resize it.
>
> Could anyone tell me if 1) It is possible to resize (make larger) the
> BSD slice without causing FreeBSD to panic, and then if so 2) what
> happens to the extra space created inside that slice? Can I resize a BSD
> partition within that, or would I have to make another partition and
> mount that? 3) If a BSD-partition resize is possible,what utilities are
> there that can do this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cris Bennett.

Before letting Partition Magic have at your drive, back up
/usr/ports/distfiles--it contains all the source for all the ports
you've built, unless you've been using 'make distclean'. If you've
downloaded Gnome2 from the net, that was a lot of bandwidth....

growfs(8) might be useful, but using symlinks like jerry suggested would
be a lot easier.

--
..: Chad Daelhousen == cd9@buffalo.edu :.........: sig v3.1 :...
: Programming for 10 +/- 2 years (50 +/- 10% of a lifetime)    :