Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 01:49:37 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: w output

On Feb 02, 1997 at 01:16:11PM, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> I'm wondering why I get this
>
> somehost# w
>  1:04PM  up 4 days,  1:08, 5 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00
> USER             TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
> root             v0  -                Sat11AM 4days /usr/libexec/getty Pc ttyv0
>
> NB: I have done a cvt-wtmp -f recently.

I have no idea why, and since init(8) is responsible for this
record, I can't even see how it would happen. It certainly
doesn't happen here, on 3 machines that run -CURRENT just
before the lite2 merges.

BTW, wtmp isn't involved in this - utmp is. Did you perhaps
change /etc/tty's and sighup process 1 just before this?
A freak race condition is all that comes to mind. Is it
repeatable after a reboot?

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/