Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 08:39:37 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <don@PartsNow.com>
To:        techweb@cmp.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sean Fulton's OS holy wars article

Please repeat this article with a little 'fine tuning' added. Kernel
rebuilding is a minor task in FreeBSD and is part of its installation
and no more difficult than any other part. It takes only a few minutes
to configure the kernel build config file to recognize your memory, and
less than an hour (on a P150 w/64 mb, not your steroid machines) to
recompile and install. I think that's a lot less programmer time than
NT'ds menus take, let alone their config files.
	That done, my P150 could blow any of your PPro180's off the block as a
webserver.
	I should add that I am not a UNIX guru, have only been using FreeBSD
for less than 2 years as a small portion of my job.
	That said, the article was reasonably unbiased and well written. I
enjoyed its insightful comparisons, and learned perhaps a little of what
I'm missing by not buying BSDi or SCO, although I'd be missing a whole
lot of cash, too. I think that fairness would dictate that you do a
follow-up that allows each server to be tweaked by its OS experts for 6
hours (by hand... no super turn-it-inside-out scripts) after being
installed out-of-the-box, and then re-run your tests. You also should
stipulate that there be no asynchronous disk writes unless everybody is
allowed to do so. Linux uses async mounting, and it gives them a
catch-up but it is dangerous on a real-world server, no matter how good
your UPS.
	Again, thanks for the mention of FreeBSD!
--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *