Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:59:29 +0100
From:      Gerrit =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems shutting down a dual p3 on 5.x

Hi folks,

since I'm using the 5.x series (I tried DP2, 5.0, 5.1 and now 5.2) I have
problems when shutting down my dual P3 server (MSI 694 Pro AIR mobo).
The problems varied over the different versions of FreeBSD:
Either there was a panic, or the machine got stuck after the first white
line of kernel messages ("shutting down vlrnu ok" or whatever that was),
or sometimes it even worked fine. When the machine got stuck there were
also different behaviours when pressing the power button in that state
(according to the BIOS it should switch of after 4s): Either switching off
after 4s, or blanking the screen at once and switching off after 4s, or
even shutting down correctly after 3-4s when releasing the power button
fast enough (otherwise it would switch off before having finished the
power-down process).
My main problem with this that all file systems come up dirty after
switching off in this "stuck" state.
Can anyone with the same mainboard confirm these problems?
I can post (verbose) dmesg and acpidump here if this helps in tracking down
the problem, or put it on a webserver for downloading.

cu
  Gerrit