Date:      Fri, 05 Oct 2001 23:23:07 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        Ole Guldberg Jensen <ole_guldberg@mail.dk>
Cc:        "Dorr H. Clark" <dclark@applmath.scu.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: supported IDE cdwriters?

Ole Guldberg Jensen writes:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 10:00:23AM -0700, Dorr H. Clark wrote:
> >
> > Is there a current list of supported IDE cdwriters?
> > Sometimes they seem to come on and go off the market
> > kind of fast (i.e.- less than 2 years).
> >

> http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private
> /cdrecord.html

That's not the answer to Dorr's question. Cdrecord only supports SCSI.

Is only a list of 2 but I've been fairly happy with a Sony 160e, and
totally unhappy with a Philips "804"-something (8/4/24 I believe).

The Philips was slow and unreliable in reading its own work. Also with
FreeBSD dd would read the media one block short.

On SCSI I'm far less happy with my HP-9200i (8/4/32) than I used to be
but its much better than the Philips (IDE/ATAPI) it replaced. And even
happier with my ancient Panasonic CW-7502 (4x write, 8x read) CD-R.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net