Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:18:32 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Steven Faulconer <sfaulconer@mindspring.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Subject:   Re: Keyboard/Boot problem after clean 4.3 install

In message <3AE989F7.B71542E@mindspring.com>, Steven Faulconer writes:
>Default : F1
>
>I then hit F1, and the system beeps. Infact, any keystroke other than
>ctrl-alt-delete just causes a beep in the system. I've reinstalled

That sounds like the boot menu failed to read the first sector of
the FreeBSD partition. This would often indicate a mismatch between
the BIOS's idea of the disk geometry and FreeBSD's information.

See if there are any BIOS options relating to the disk geometry, e.g.
"LBA", "Large" etc. You could also try writing down the number of
cylinders, heads and tracks reported by the BIOS, and specifying
these manually on the FreeBSD installer's disk partition page.

Ian