Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 1995 19:20:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        patl@asimov.volant.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> |>  > I suspect that most of the problem with the SVr4/Solaris/HP-UX startup
> |>  > script system is poor documentation.  And a lot of the people complaining
> |>  > are really complaining about the change, not the actual result.  Any
> |>  > change we make will suffer from that, no matter how good it is.
> |>
> |>  It's not documentation.  See the Nemeth Sysadmin book Edition 2 (the red
> |>  cover)...  The yellow one documented the run levels with SVR2 (I think).
>
> Any documentation that doesn't come with the system is obscure.  Unix
> users and sysadmins tend to expect to find everything they need on-line.

That's a generic Unix problem.  Unix usually doesn't have "Documentation"
it has reference matter.  Now Vax/VMS had DOCUMENTATION.

I've tried to configure HP-UX by the "Documentation"... ugh.

/etc/netnfsrc
/etc/bsdsrc
/etc/bull&*^%$#rc...

Init and inittab were in the docs with OS/x and DC/OSx...
However the man pages don't give real sample scripts.  They should
be in some skel directory... I always used the TCPIP or NFS starter
script as a model.

> |>  Actually, it appears to be a cultural problem.  Since there's no
> |>  standard "Unix" -- there's really two -- BSD and SYSTEM V
> |>  you get the one true Unix religious bigotry.
>
> Only two?  Isn't that something like saying "There are two kinds of
> Christianity - Roman Catholic and Protestant" ? :-) :-)
> [ That was intended as a wry observation, not an invitation to rathole
> on varieties of unix... ]

And a damned good one. 8-)

> SVr4 was supposed to merge the two camps again by incorporating the
> advantages of both systems.  It fell down a bit in the areas where
> both provided equivalent functionality in incompatible ways.  And
> they -really- screwed up a few things (like serial port and printer
> administration.)
>

> |>  I've worked with both.  I've been the sysadmin on SunOS, HP-UX, Solaris 2.4,
> |>  DC/OSx (SysVR4), OS/X (which had available both the AT&T and BSD init
> |>  and the Sys Admin would install EITHER ONE based on preferences at the
> |>  site).
> |>
> |>  (Actually the capability to support both ways wouldn't be bad here...
> |>  how about keeping the old BSD init method as an option)
>
> If that can be done easily and cleanly, I'd go for it.
>
> |>  At Pyramid's NJ training facility we noticed the following...
> |>  The Sys V method was pushed heavily in my classes as the method with the
> |>  most customization... However my office ran with the BSD init -- since the
> |>  rest of the office learned UNIX on the west coast -- while the bunch
> |>  of folks who came out of the telcom business here (ex-AT&T and Bellcore
> |>  folks) ran with the SysV setup.
>
> Which tends to support my point about inertia being the prime factor.
>
> |>  > You make it sound like the folks working on FreeBSD would make changes
> |>  > just to be different from SYSV.  I sincerely hope that is not the case.
> |>  > We should strive to produce the best unix-derived system that we can;
> |>  > but vigorously fight the Not Invented Here syndrome.  If somebody else
> |>  > has a better solution than the one we are using, we should feel perfectly
> |>  > free to adopt it.  Or, if we can, improve it further.
> |>
> |>  Agreed... it looks like the argument comes down to NIH and that SysV's
> |>  startup complicates things more than the BSD /etc/rc /etc/rc.local does.
>
> I still think that complication is more apparent than real.  In some ways,
> it has actually made things easier by making some of the decisions more
> obvious.  (E.g., which run-level to put a link in corresponds to which
> major section of rc or rc.local to insert your changes into.)
>
> |>  However, a new user editing rc or rc.local and screwing up can cause a lot
> |>  of problems.  I had to fix another admin's SunOS 4.1.3 machine when he
> |>  screwed it up so bad that the shared libraries weren't mounted.
>
> Exactly.  And the SVr4 method makes life -MUCH- easier for anyone building
> an installation package for add-on software.  Scripts to safely modify
> rc or rc.local have to make some scary assumptions...
>
> |>  I think we should go the SVR4 route and I'm willing to document it...
>
> I'll support you all the way.  (I'll offer to help, but I'm not sure

I'm not much of a coder -- but I'm interested in Sysadmin issues.

FreeBSD's going to get better and better the more discussion that goes
into it.

*I'll avoid the idea of conditional symbolic links and two sets of binaries
so you could have both BSD and SYS_V compatible utilities. I'll avoid
/usr/5bin or /usr/ucb -- both of which drove me nuts. *(i would've
preferred the symlinks) *

Bill

 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter        | The postmaster always pings twice.
 Lakewood MicroSystems               | 17 Meredith Drive,
 908-389-3592                        | Tinton Falls, NJ 07724
 pechter@shell.monmouth.com          |