Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 21:09:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Matthew Graybosch <matthew@starbreaker.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internal hardware modem

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Matthew Graybosch wrote:

> Hi. I'm almost ready to install FreeBSD 4.4, but I have a
> question that I wasn't able to answer by reading the modem and
> dialup sections of the handbook.
>
> I have a US Robotics Model 5610 PCI hardware modem. It uses I/o
> port 0xdc00 and IRQ 9.  What commands to I have to issue to
> make FreeBSD recognise this modem as my second serial port?

When you boot the installation floppies or the installation
CD-ROM, use the arrow keys to configure the kernel in visual
mode.  That's where you tell FreeBSD the port and irq for your
serial ports.  The second serial port is sio1 (the first is
sio0).

In the device list for dialing out (using ppp), the second
serial port is /dev/cuaa1.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC