Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 1999 11:49:51 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Installation Guide Project [Was: Re: FreeBSD Advocacy]

On 2 Apr 99, at 14:55, Nocturne wrote:

> Most excellent, thanks, but I like Donald's idea of having all the
> doc projects hosted at the same site.

Fair enough too.

> > > People with working knowledge of how to setup a basic LAN (NAT,
> > > routed/gated, DNS, ipfw, ppp) to work with dialup or DSL/cable.
> > > Proof-readers to make sure the information has as few knowledge
> > > pre-requisites as possible.
> >
> > All of this is already in The FreeBSD Diary.  Have a look and see if
> > it's up to scratch.
>
> The information is all well written, and simple to understand for the most
> part, but you're explaining what you did instead of showing the steps.
> Plus, it's making assumptions that the reader already knows how to get to
> the files and information you refer to:
>
> You say something like, "I put these lines in /etc/rc.conf..."
> My original idea is to have it written like, "At the # prompt type... go
> to this line in the file and type..."  Unless folks think it would be too
> dry for newcomers (which is why I want newcomers to be the proof-readers).

Fair enough.  I know think we're aiming at two different audiences.  or
perhaps I've misunderstood your intentions.  There are some assumptions I
make regarding the reader.  Not all of those are stated.  Perhaps all that
is needed to make the Diary material more suitable for the installation
guide is, for example, a separate section on how to edit a file.

> It should be understandable by someone with no unix skills at all.
> Imagine a newbie installing FreeBSD for the first time.  Part of the
> installation requires them to edit a .conf file.  The CFBSD or
> Handbook says which file to edit and explains what they have to
> change, but says nothing about the commands they have to do to find
> and open the file.  CFBSD has the vi man page, but how's the newbie
> going to know it's there and what it is unless there's a reference to it?

Yep.  I still reckon this could be covered by a section on "how to edit a
file".  I don't think you intend the the Installation guide will be step
by step for every file that needs to be maintained.  What we need is a
short introduction to Unix commands.  We can make use of existing
documents.  I have a website section titled "Stuff for Newbies" which
might be a good starting point.  I think that would elminate both
repetition and boredom for the reader.

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary