Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 23:17:17 -0400
From:      "Rex A. Roof" <rex@rexroof.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   login.conf restrictions

I have restrictions on openfiles and maxprocesses set up in my login.conf
for my users.  But I find this is causing problems whenever I have to restart
a system daemon (apache, sendmail, idled, etc).  When these processes start
at bootup, they run just fine w/out issue.  But if they ever need to be
restarted they tend to die in a matter of hours.  When these processes are
restarted they're by a user in a class called 'staff' that has it's own
login.conf setup.  I've tried while su'ed with the -c option, and while
su'ed with 'su - root', both with no results.  here's the relevant parts
of my /etc/login.conf:

default:\
	:copyright=/etc/COPYRIGHT:\
	:welcome=/etc/motd:\
	:setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K,\
	        FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES,PW_SCAN_BIG_IDS=1:\
	:path=~/bin /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/X11R6/bin:\
	:nologin=/etc/nologin:\
	:cputime=unlimited:\
	:datasize=unlimited:\
	:stacksize=unlimited:\