Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 2004 11:56:32 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Lewis Thompson <lewiz@fajita.org>, Evan Sayer <esayer1@san.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum

--+Z7/5fzWRHDJ0o7Q

On Saturday, 20 March 2004 at 22:00:09 +0000, Lewis Thompson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I might be lying to you with my answers.  I'm hoping Greg Lehey or some
> other Vinum hacker will point anything I get wrong out though :)

Heh.  You could have waited for me to wake up :-)

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 01:23:53PM -0800, Evan Sayer wrote:
>> I have a question about how vinum effects access to file systems.  When
>> i have a vinum volume on a drive which contains the file system /usr,
>> which is being mirrored to another volume on another drive, are the
>> contents of  /usr encompassed in the volume (like a partition) or is
>
> /usr is generally partition e on the slice (at least it is on my
> machine).  This means you can set up two Vinum drives using, for
> example, ad0s1e.

Well, no, that's the /usr slice.  Is that what you meant to say?

> That way you will be able to mount either disk.

I think you may have misunderstood the question.  I think that Evan is
misunderstanding how Vinum works, and he wants to overlay an existing
/usr slice under Vinum.  There's a description of how to do that at
http://www.vinumvm.org/cfbsd/vinum.pdf.

>> If i do this will i be able to access all the files on the first
>> hard drive as though it was just a regular partition.

Well, you can't access files on a partition.  You access files from a
file system, whether it's on a partition, a Vinum volume or elsewhere
(vnode device, for example).  That's the purpose of mount.  Once you
have mounted your file system, it doesn't make much difference where
it's stored.

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.