Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:34:10 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum write spanning

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 09:49:59AM -0500, Jason Andresen wrote:
> I'm hoping there is an easy answer to this one...
>
> Is there some way vinum can be tickled such that it writes to all disks
> in a plex at once?  For instance, say I have a 6 disk RAID5 array
> that I'm writing a 200MB file to.  Is there some way I can make
> vinum attempt to write data to all of the drive simultaniously?

You can't easily increase performance in a single file access case
with more disks.
Especialy in the R5 case where you have several blocks depend on the
same parity.

> If vinum already does that I'm probably just saturating the PCI bus
> and there's nothing more I can do, but it seems like I should have
> a tougher time saturating the bus with 5400RPM drives...

Vinum is designed for multiple file access which is a more common
situation for a unix system.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de