Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 19:04:34 -0400
From:      Chris Browning <brownicm@prokyon.com>
To:        RnldFreud@aol.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internet connection

On Saturday 27 October 2001 03:27 pm, RnldFreud@aol.com wrote:
> i want to thank all thosewho have responded to my questions on connecting
> to bellsouth.net with a alcatel adsl modem.  at the present time i have
> been unable to establish a connection. i have tried everyones suggestions
> and looked at the handbook online. the system recognizes the alcatel
> because when i plug it in it tells me its there and when i disconnect it
> tells me it is disconnected.  what i can not do is establish the login.  i
> quess i just dont understand how unix works the theory so to speak.  in
> windows you establish dial up networking but this is different. what am i
> missing??

If bellsouth is using PPPoE, set up pppd. See the manpage or:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html

http://www.daemonnews.org/200101/pppoe.html

If bellsouth is not using PPPoE on your subnet, you don't need to login; the
problem is somewhere else. I was a happy (mostly) bellsouth DSL customer for
18 months. Some subnets used PPPoE, some did not. Mine did not.

What do you mean by "the system recognizes the alcatel"? What tools are you
using to "see" the modem?

Have you set a default gateway?

Can you ping your upstream router?

We need to know a bit more about what you have done and how you did it.

Chris Browning
brownicm@prokyon.com