Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:02:36 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Andrey Alekseyev <uitm@zenon.net>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patch to protect process from pageout killing

> As promised, here's the patch to protect a process from being killed when
> pageout is in memory shortage.  This allows a process to specify that it

Just in case, anyone gets interested, here is another one I made about
two years ago for our own needs (mass web-hosting, etc.)
http://www.blackflag.ru/patches/vm_pageout.c.diff

:)

Allows to specify "safe" process(es) names in a sysctl variable. Doesn't
touch root processes (that's what I needed as well) and sends SIGKILL
if process is not willing to terminate.

I recall Matt Dillon had some very useful comments about the possibility
of further development of such features. Like some preferences of
what processes to kill first (some other criteria in addition to the
process size).

--
Andrey Alekseyev. Zenon N.S.P.
Senior Unix systems administrator