Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 23:10:16 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
To:        Socketd <db@traceroute.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommend some programs for gnome + sawfish?

cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome-fifth-toe
make install clean

keep in mind that most things i list below are actually part of
gnome-fifth-toe.

-Adam

>> (09.29.2002 @ 1549 PST): Socketd said, in 1.1K: <<
> I have just begun working seriously with gnome + sawfish, after switching
> from KDE (I was told gnome + sawfish is going to be the UNIX "standard"
> GUI).

i believe the UNIX standard GUI is X.

> X-windows programs can run under gnome right? But what about kde/qt
> programs? (only some of them or what?)

you actually have it backwards. gnome runs under X-windows. kde/qt apps
run under X too. independent of gnome, completely.

> Mp3 (Xmms?)
xmms.
> C++ graphical env (not for graphical programming, just a graphical env)
> (Anjuta?)
anjuta is there. try glimmer.
> Browser (Netscape?)
galeon
> Mail/word/nntp (staroffice?)
openoffice/AbiWord
> Playing mpeg, divx, wmv, mov?
mplayer
> Cd-player?
gtcd / gnome-cd under gnome2. my fave is xmcd.
> Icq (gnomeicu?)
gaim.
> MSN client?
gaim.
> Yahoo client (ymessenger?)
gaim.
> MS netmeeting client (gnomemeeting?)
gaim?
> For developing web pages, a WYSIWYG editor?
screem.
> File manager?
nautilus.
> IP voice (Speak freely, isn't there a graphical one?)
yes, but it doesn't work right under fbsd. yet.
> Kazaa client?
nope. not open software. there are some gnutella apps tho.
> Btw I found that edonkey can't find any servers. Can it have something to
> do with the fact that I am behind a firewall and the server is trying to
> connect to me?
i think edonkey is aptly named, if you get my drift.

--
"Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw."
        -Lilo, "Lilo & Stitch"