Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2001 11:23:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        <rmartin@mail.lakeheadu.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.0.3 problem

On Sat, 14 Jul 2001 rmartin@mail.lakeheadu.ca wrote:

> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:24:36 -0400 (EDT)
> From: rmartin@mail.lakeheadu.ca
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: XFree86 4.0.3 problem
>
> Hi there. Here's the deal, i just purchesed myself a
> nice ATI RADEON 64MEG VIVO, and i'd really like to use
> it with X on FreeBSD 4.3. The problem is, I don't know
> how to install XFree86 4.0.3. I take it you don't
> install the XFree86 3.3.6 during install. Right? I also
> don't know the commands to use once i install XFree
> 4.x.x .
Did you ever use XFree86 before?
If not try 3.3.6 first to see how things work (you can  use
/stand/sysinstal -> postinstall configurations -> ...
and when installation is done type
# XF86Setup
(this will produce a script in /etc/XF86Config - have a
look at that too)
after this you will see how you can elaborate and update
your X-Windows.
Ah yes, to start x do
# startx

Uli.