Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:54:04 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] BEL (primarily for vi).

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 11:49:40AM +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> Gary Kline schrieb:
> > 	Apologies for the triple postings, but this is general enough
> > 	for the -questions list and aimed at the gnome list.  It
> > 	includes a query for the KDE list.
> >
> > 	I just opened a "konsole", the KDE-hacked xterm, IIRC.  I had the
> > 	BEL set to "system bell" and as with "terminals", vi/vim/and
> > 	other bell-type things just flashed the screen at me.  I do have
> > 	full-screen flash set up in my Gnome menu settings.  Nothing I
> > 	can do gets the .WAV bell to work under gnome.
> Just guessing here, but if you have your ".WAV bell" set up via the KDE
> system notifications, it may well be that knotify cannot output any
> sounds in your GNOME session because artsd isn't running. Alternatively
> to running artsd as part of your GNOME session, you can set up knotify
> to use an external utility to play notifications, either via the KDE
> Control Center or by editing ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc (by filling
> in the External player line and setting Use Arts to false).

	Sounds like a good guess!   Since Gnome is my main desktop,
	where do I find the KDE control center/system notifications?
	Bear with me: I've used CTWM for at least 10 years... .

	I *do* use artsd for my text-to-speech apps, so do have artsd
	running.  I've poked around the FreeBSD knotifyrc config file
	and find nothing on the "External player=" line.  But the
	^[Misc] section is in my Ubuntu KDE file.  What goes there?
	A path to a wav file?  The path to, say, xmms??  "player" needs
	for clarification, so an example would help.

	thanks much,

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline@thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix