Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:20:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two Source Trees for Several Machines

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, David Kelly wrote:

> Doug White writes:
> >
> > You might as well cvsup the entire CVS tree, then checkout the respective
> > -current and -stable trees.  This will keep down the redundant cvsup's.
>
> A little help please. I'm tring to do about the same thing.
>
> Used ftp to download cvs-cur.4000xEmpty.gz thru cvs-cur.4134.gz.
>
> Used "ctm -u -b /home/ncvs *" to extract the above.

I'm not intimately familiar with CTM.  Are you sure you have a proper CVS
repository, with a CVSROOT directory and all?  Do you have CVS files
(*,v)?

> Used "cvsup -g -L 2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile" to further
> update my archive. Noticed it did a lot of "touch"-ing, apparently to
> correct file dates.

Okay, that should give you the CVS repository files.

> nospam: [1014] setenv CVS_UPDATE
> nospam: [1015] setenv CVSROOT /home/ncvs
> nospam: [1016] cd /usr/src
> nospam: [1017] make update
> Updating /usr/src from cvs repository /home/ncvs
> cd /usr/src && cvs -q update -P -d -r RELENG_2_2
> cvs [update aborted]: no such tag RELENG_2_2
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.

Hrm.  Looks like the files grabbed don't have a RELENG_2_2 tag applied,
which is wrong.  Check your repository and make sure it's going in the
right place.