Date:      31 May 2003 19:54:17 +0100
From:      Dave Bradshaw <dave_bradshaw@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gnome2.2 or 4.8 Stable Login logout Problem.

--=-kN2whutGRcorYBOOs6gt

Dear All,

Since upgrading to 4.8 stable I have had problems logging in and logging
out. =20
It can take up to three attempts to login, each time I get the message
your session lasted for less than 10 seconds please check
.xsession-errors or if I login the first time, then on login out the
screen either goes black and I am unable to do anything other than power
cycle the machine, or I get a message about the display being in use so
this session has been started on another display.=20
These problems did not occur when running 4.7 or 4.8 RC.

Looking at .xsession-errors file it is full of these error messages -

(gnome-panel:305): Wnck-WARNING **: Property _NET_WM_NAME contained
invalid UTF-8
=20
Window manager warning: Property _NET_WM_NAME on window 0x14000f4
contained invalid UTF-8
Window manager warning: Property _NET_WM_NAME on window 0x14000f4
contained invalid UTF-8

Yesterday I went through the process of upgrading all my ports, then
running cvsup stable-supfile, building and installing a new kernel, but
this has not rectified the problem.

Does anybody have any ideas about how this can rectified?=20

Thanks in advance.=20

Regards,

	Dave

--=-kN2whutGRcorYBOOs6gt