Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:17:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      B J <top_gun_canada@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   "acpi_tz0: _TMP value is absurd" Message

I have a second-hand Compaq Presario SR2180NX, which uses a P5LP-LE motherboard.

I first installed and ran FreeBSD 5.5 without the error message.  I recall that it began appearing after I switched from 6.2 to 6.3 and it still now that I'm running FreeBSD 8.0.

I created an ASL file, looked at some of the code, and didn't notice anything obvious which might be responsible for the error message.  I sort of got around the problem by adding:

hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 0 -> 1
hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10 -> 1800
hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 1 -> 0

to a configuration file.  It doesn't fix whatever causes the error, as the message still appears but not as often.

I installed and ran FreeBSD on two different models of IBM ThinkPad without the error, leading me to believe that there might be an incompatibility between the ACPI code and the P5LP-LE motherboard.

My question is whether there is a permanent solution to this or if the aforementioned quick fix will have to be sufficient?

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.

BMJ