Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 20:50:08 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI, multiple vmwares is possible but is a hack

Way back on June 12/2001, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
>I have 2 vmwares running.  I got the second one running by creating another
>vmmon with a different name but same number of characters:
>	a21p% ls -l /compat/linux/dev/vmmo*
>	crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  200,   1 Jun 11 11:00
>/compat/linux/dev/vmmo2
>	crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  200,   0 May  9 14:32
>/compat/linux/dev/vmmon
>	a21p%
>
>Then I ran this Perl script to patch the "vmmo2" in places of "vmmon":
>	#!/usr/local/bin/perl
>
>	open(VMWARE,"/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware") || die;
>	open(DUP,">/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware.dup") || die;
>
>	while(<VMWARE>){
>	        s,/dev/vmmon,/dev/vmmo2,;
>	        print DUP;
>	}
>	close VMWARE;
>	close DUP;
>	system("chmod 4555 /usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware.dup");
>
>Then I modified the vmware script to fire up:
>	/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware.dup
>
>Now I have 2 vmwares running with networking etc.  I define non-conflicting
>devices and use netgraph to tie the various networks together.

is this with the "vmware" port, or the "vmware2" port?

I tried this with the latest vmware2 port, on the latest version of 4.4-stable,
and it didn't quite work.  I created the /compat/linux/dev/vmmo2 device by:
     cd /compat/linux/dev
     mknod vmmo2 c 200 1 root:wheel

which seemed to do the right thing (I get the same output from 'ls' as
Doug listed).  The second machine gets an error at startup though, with
vmware complaining:
     "Could not open /dev/vmnet1.  Device or resource busy.
      Failed to configure ethernet0".

I expect that's because I don't know what do about the part where Doug
says "I define non-conflicting devices, and use netgraph...".  Do I
need to duplicate /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware.sh , and have it create
a vmnet2 device?  If so, how do I get the second-vmnet device?  I tried
duplicating the startup-script, and changing vmnet1 to vmnet2, but that
didn't work because 'ifconfig' doesn't know about a vmnet2 interface.