Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 14:27:36 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where is Berkley DB libdb?

In the last episode (Sep 30), Artem Koutchine said:
> From: "Dan Nelson" <dnelson@emsphone.com>
> > In the last episode (Sep 29), Artem Koutchine said:
> > > 3) How can i avoid all this mess and make every single executable
> > > use the version i have installed (2.7.7).
> >
> > If you really want to use a single version of DB across the board, use
> > DB 3.1.17 (it's in ports).
>
> >From questions (1) and (2) the conclusion is that i cannot make my system
> use any other version but the one compiled in libc (somebody compiled
> libdb into libc statically, sux).

Sure you can.  Berkeley DB versions 1, 2, and 3 all use completely
different function calls.  V1 uses dbopen(), V2 uses db_open(), v3 uses
db_create().  They don't interfere with each other.  libc provides DB
1.85.  If you want db2 or db3, you'll need to manually link in that
library and make sure you use either db_open() or db_create() to access
your datbase files.

> > > All this is causing me a lot of trouble, because DB_File cannot
> > > access db files created on Linux (Mandrake 7.1 and some version of
> > > Slackware, i think it is latest). I have multi-os development office,
> > > so, no os wars.
> >
> > I'd say the answer is "don't do that" :)  Rebuild your DB file from the
> > source file on each machine you use it on, or switch to a client-server
> > databse like mysql.
>
> Mysql is used here and it's ok. DB is used for low level tasks. Could
> please explain why i shouldn't do that?

I said that thinking that maybe DB files created on Linux might not
work on FreeBSD.  After looking at the docs for DB3.1, it looks like
the database files should be portable across all systems DB3.1
supports.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com