Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:33:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
Cc:        cwt@FreeBSD.ORG, kingsled@enc.edu, nick.hibma@jrc.it, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, Brian Topping <topping@digidemic.com>, "Snyder, Hal" <hal_snyder@sdsi.com>
Subject:   Re: fix for amanda chg-chio script to eject tape

> Well... one question is whether there is any _problem_ for changers that
> CAN force an eject IF we have an explicit eject command (mt offl) before
> the tape handling command (chio move ...).  If not, then great.  If this
> IS a problem, then perhaps we could create a new amanda.conf parameter
> (e.g. "tpchanger_explicit_eject=yes") to control whether the 'mt offl'
> happens or not.  Comments?
>
> Nick:  it seems you're of the opinion that having explicit eject command
> will _not_ cause difficulty with any changers?  (fine by me... as long
> as owners of can-force-eject changers all agree)

Per nick's experience, I'd say yes. Like I said, a lot of changers
have options that you set whether they autoload the next in a sequence-
but it's better to let people set it.

> > > The system I'm using is a 28-tape changer from a company called MediaLogic.  It has
> > > a Sony AIT-1 drive (which, since sa(4) doesn't know the AIT extended features, is
> > > being treated like just a big 8mm drive).
> >
> > (send me a manual and do some testing for me and the 'advanced' features
> > may become available- *I* don't have 10-20K$ to buy one....)
> >

> The AIT drives themselves are more like 3-5K$.  I do actually have
> access to a manual which describes the added SCSI commands.  Myself
> and another AIT drive owner have been looking at the problem a bit.
> So... yeah... we'd be more than happy to look at any code you'd come up
> with and/or have you examine ours.  Are you serious about this?

Sort of, but it's a low priority over getting to actually fix real
problems for others (mostly for QIC drives right now). Which. I. Will. Do.
Very. Soon. Now. That. I. Am. Almost. Over. This. Darn. Cold...