Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 15:44:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Hu <jxh@cs.wustl.edu>
To:        Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD on Laptops. Is something missing?

Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl> writes:
> Hello,
> I run FreeBSD and prefer it over Linux. But now I have to install one
> of them on my new laptop. Some people tell me that Linux has better
> support for laptops. Is that true? If so, then what is missing
> w.r.t. laptop support on FreeBSD? It does seem that pcmcia is
> supported. Do I need more specific support for laptops that FreeBSD
> might not provice?

AFAIK, the only problem is that FreeBSD does not come with PCCARD
support built into the GENERIC kernel.  So, once installed on the
laptop, you'd have to rebuild the kernel to get PCCARDs to work.

Also, someone posted this URL a while back, which should help you out:
  http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa/PAO/

-- James