Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:38:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        User A <a@drdb139.cc.nih.gov>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <aling@capu.net>
Subject:   Re: Recommended video for XFree86 3 or 4 on 4.3R or -stable (AMD Athlon)?

I have used ATI cards in the past.  I used the Rage II and Rage Pro
chipsets (e.g. the All-in-Wonder, and an embedded card on a gateway box).
Both worked very well.  Recently, I purchased a new machine at work that
came with an ATI 2000 card.  I never got it working well under XFree
3.3.6, so I upgraded to 4.0.3, and it works wonderfully.

At home, I use a bit more graphics power with a GeForce II and X 4.0.3.  I
previously used the GeForce I with 3.3.6, and loved it (until it burned
out :-( ).

The only card I really didn't like was a Diamond Viper 550.  The display
was terrible.  Admitedly, I only tried in 3.3.6.

Joe Clarke