Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 14:54:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
To:        Pete Carah <pete@pelican.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apache server

> If you want to have each site show as http://unique.site.name/xxxxx,
> this problem is NOT solvable by anything on the server end except for
> multiple IP addresses.  The problem comes from a shortcoming in the
> http protocol itself; the base site name is not forwarded to the host
> when the http query is made.  This is because the CERN/UIUC folks way back
> a few years ago, when they invented http thought that noone would ever
> want to do that, I guess...

Actually, the 'problem' has nothing to do with http whatsoever.  The
'problem' is that when you get an opened TCP connection the ONLY
information you have is the IP address, you get the name by calling the
named and doing a reverse lookup.  Since all IP addresses can only have
one authoritative name (additional names are aliases/cnames), you will
not know if the other end pointed to your machine with 'www.foo.com' or
'www.bar.com'.  HOWEVER, your machine can handle more than one IP
address, which is how it figures out that you are pointing to another
'site'.  Admittedly you could add to the HTTP protocol so the client
tells the server what the client thinks the server's name is, but this
would be horridly redundant, in general its best to distribute the load
and put different domains on different machines, a 486DX unix box can be
hacked together for virtually nothing.

> another way involves CNAMEs and a chooser page but that's a kluge too).

uhh, yeah, right.

> I have a freebsd apache server with 19 aliases on it now; it still
> works just fine, though our request rate is still fairly low (about 100/hr
> total files on average over January; most requests were for two of the
> (sub)-sites.

One comment: keep the aliases to a minimum when virtual hosting, too many
can really slow down networking.

-Brandon Gillespie-