Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 2002 04:39:44 -0400
From:      bvagnoni@comcast.net
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need ER Help Setting Up My 4.6.2 Box Behind a Nated Router

Dear All;;

I have a 4.6.2 box connected to a Firebox 700, which is doing one to one
nat. The firebox is setup to take public ip 64.220.249.197/29, gateway
64.220.249.193 and translate it to 192.168.1.103/24, gateway 192.168.1.1.

I can ping the private gateway, the box itself and other computers on the
network, But I can not ping anything out side of it. I have other machince
none freebsd boxes on the same private network that can get out on the net
fine without any problems.

The interface that I'm using is called sf0 which is attached to an adpatec
nic card which is connected to the firebox.

The contents of my rc.conf file are as follows:

defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
hostname="system3.v-system.net"
ifconfig_sf0="inet 192.168.1.103 netmask 255.255.255.0"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
nfs_reserved_port="YES"
sendmail_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
gateway_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="sf0"
natd_flags=""
sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

natd is not listed in services I took it out as it didn't seem to help
helping it in there.

other available interfaces are fxp0(unused intel nic card) ppp0, sl0, faith0

I don't care about a firewall as it's totally behind the firebox 700. I just
want to be able to send and receiev packets to and from the internet to that
box.

WHat am I dong wrong. Please any help, it's 4am here and I've looked though
the man, the 2 years worht of e-mails and I just can't find the answer. I
wish there was a faq about this subject. It seems like a common problem

SO please I have a server that is down right now if you could help I would
be enternally gateful. Please please I so burnt at this point.

Sincerely

Brian

PS I have the following options compiled in my kernel:

cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf

cp GENRIC SYSTEM3
edit SYSTEM3
placed those lines in there under the other option lines

options	IPFIREWALL
options	IPDIVERT
options	IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options	IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE