Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 00:56:08 -0400
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Low end PS laser, or inkjet/bubblejet

	I've been needing a new printer for a while now, considering what
I've got is from 1991 - a Star Micronics 1020 Rainbow 9 pin dot matrix
thing.  I'd like to retire that to line printer status only and purchase
either a low end postscript level 2 capable laser printer, or a mid to high
end ink/bubblejet printer.  I'm leaning towards the ink/bubblejet printers
right now because PS laser starts higher than I'd like to spend.  I know
that the HP DJ540, 550, 560, and 660 are all very well supported with
apsfilter and ghostscript, but from the reviews I've been reading, the
Canon BJC-4000 does a lot better job.  And then apparently the Epson Color
Stylus II is even better.  What I would like to know is whether or not
anyone's out there running either of these two printers, and if so, how
well do they reproduce a postscript document as prepped by ghostscript?
Also, how easy was the printer to setup with freebsd, and can you use its
highest dpi mode?  Thanks for any pointers, recommendations, and help in
advance!

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead