Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 23:36:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   this is not working....

Hello again,

I am having trouble running programs now. I have
cvsup'd my ports tree and it seems to have the correct
umask now (for those of you reading my previous
threads)...but...now when I install a program I can't
run it with any user except the root. I changed
permissions like so:

#cd /usr/bin/xxxx
#chmod 755 ./xxxx

It then appears to have a permission allowing users to
execute it, but I still get a "command not found"
error. I have checked my path and it has /usr/bin in
it and never had these problems before trying the
cvsup thing....it seems that that process has
unleashed an infinite number of disasters for
me....(all my fault, of course). My first question
is...why isn't it finding the command? Secondly, why
are things installing w/ the wrong permissions...my
umask is still 022????????? Please help me...I am at
the end of my rope....

TIA,

Thomas