Date:      Sat, 3 Mar 2001 19:25:12 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Larry Berland" <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        "John Baldwin" <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Promiscuous Mode ??

No - this is not an IP traffic thing yet.  An Ethernet broadcast is all 1's
in the destination MAC address space (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff) but it carries the
source MAC address with it.  The DHCP server response is a unicast packet
that has a destination MAC address of the client.

>doesn't necessarily know the broadcast (as they don't know their address
>or the network address) they'd be using 255.255.255.255 or 0.0.0.0 until
>they did, which would mean the dhcp server is binding to those addresses,
>instead of just its normal IP and the broadcast IP for the network.  Or
>maybe i'm just insane.  Basically, the point of this insane rant (I've
>been awake far too long) is that the dhcp reply initially must be
>broadcast, since the client has no clue what to listen to otherwise.  But
>since the client doesn't even know the broadcast address, does that mean
>it gets its reply on 0.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.255, or does it just go
>promisc to get the reply on the normal broadcast address?

Forget the IP numbering.  All the IP number is, is a pointer into the ARP
table for the mac address of the ethernet card your sending the packet to.

>Lacking in sleep,
>Laurence Berland
>http://www.isp.northwestern.edu/~laurence
>
>PS  Did the chapter from TFCNG in DN get cut off?

Yes, I'm sending them the completed chapter.  They didn't get the chapter
from me, they got it from my darling publisher.