Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 12:17:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I had NO idea that Yahoo! and Walnut creek ran on FreeBSD until I started
> > DIGGING to find out something about FreeBSD.  The odd site here and there
>
> Hmmm.  Is the freebsd newsletter really so well hidden?  I'd welcome
> suggestions on how to make it less so.

All I am saying is that FreeBSD isn't really on the mainstream's mind.  I
can only speak for myself remaining so ignorant for so long, and the fact
that I only know of 2 or 3 people who I have met who actually KNOW what it
is.  Fewer still know why it is a good OS for a wide range of
applications.

I am not saying this is GOOD, but it IS what I perceive.

A TON of people know the name "Linux".  More still "NT", and well,
every joe who has seen Technology news on CNN thinks they can talk about
Windows95...and now 98.  (No offense to people named Joe, nor to the
Wordstar-like text editor).