Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2006 23:38:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?=E5=BC=A0=E9=9F=A1=E6=AD=A6?= <weiwu@sdf.lonestar.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network analyse tool? To debug IMAP related problems

--0-822175709-1165811937=:28255

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, =E5=BC=A0=E9~_=A1=E6=AD=A6 wrote:

> Hello. I would wish to have a tool that would do this kind of thing:
>
>     1. listen on imap port on localhost, connect to localhost with my
>        email client;
>     2. forward the traffic from/to/between real imap server;
>     3. meanwhile, print everything being transfer-ed, so that I can
>        have a good ovewview of server-client conversation;
>
> I don't know what such kind of tool is usually called and thus=20
> difficult to do an effective google search. I tried a few tools in=20
> ports/net but none of them seems to be working in this way... (admit=20
> that I didn't look into pkg-descr of every package)

This sounds like a job for net/wireshark (formerly known as ethereal).=20
It won't forward as you describe, but will sit and monitor what goes=20
over the wire. You can have it only look at traffic to/from certain IP=20
addresses, and/or on certain ports; it's very flexible. You could run it=20
on any machine that the IMAP traffic passes through - your local=20
desktop, the server, any machine (gateway?) in between.

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]