Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 14:11:06 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of the UNIX Trademark

On Friday,  5 October 2001 at 21:30:47 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> On  Friday, October 05, 2001 3:05 AM, Morag Nunn wrote:
>> Sirs,
>
>> You may not be aware that we, X/Open Company Limited (trading as
>> The Open Group) > own the UNIX Trademark and therefore enjoy
>> exclusive rights to its use.
>
> Everyone in the FreeBSD community that is experienced with FreeBSD knows this.
>
>> It has come to our attention that your website contains references to UNIX,
>
> Simple references to UNIX are not impermissible.
>
>> such as "FreeBSD is an advanced BSD UNIX operating system..."
>
> This statement is likely not permissible as FreeBSD has not paid for
> licensing to TOG as far as I am aware unless University of
> California Berkeley's rights to use the term UNIX supersede.  (which
> may be possible)

No, there's a lot of prior history here.  FreeBSD may not be called
UNIX, and we're going to have to change this.

>> and "...Free BSD (is) a very economical alternative to commercial
>> UNIX workstations."
>
> This statement is perfectly permissible.  In it FreeBSD is not being
> called UNIX and UNIX is not being called FreeBSD.  Many things
> besides FreeBSD are very economical alternatives to commercial UNIX
> workstations.  This statement is almost a verbatim copy of many that
> are on the Microsoft website.

Please let the core team handle this.  This is a potentially delicate
situation, and we don't want to annoy her by sending her mail messages
from different directions.

If you feel there's something important to be said, please forward it
to core@FreeBSD.org.  Note, though, that we already have a draft
letter for discussion which, amongst others, brings up exactly the
points you raise here.

Those committers reading this, please don't "fix" the first
reference.  Yes, it needs fixing, but we need to consider just what
text we'll use to replace it.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.