Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:44:09 +0000
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Tony Jago <T.Jago@its.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very Poor Samba -> Win9x performance [more]

Tony Jago wrote:

>  Further to my problem with slow smbclient "put"'s.
>
>  1. FreeBSD 3.[23] machine -> Win98  slow (9k per second).
>  2. Solaris machine        -> Win98  fast (500+k per second).
>  3. FreeBSD 2.2.7 machine  -> Win98  fast (500+k per second).
>
>  Just incase I was doing something insane, I installed a brand new
>  3.3-RELEASE machine running the GENERIC kernel, installed samba from the
>  ports and did a smbclient "put" - still very slow performance. This is
>  very repeatable, I have tryed this on 3 different hardware platforms on
>  different networks and different network cards, they all do exactly the
>  same thing.
>
>  Tweeking with the samba config file makes no difference, this must be
>  something way beyond that. We are talking 9k a second, not much more then
>  a modem out of 100M ethernet cards on switched networks! These machine
>  can ftp at rates closer to 5 megabytes a second and above.
>
>   smbclient \\\\win98box\\test -N -c "put 1mfile"
>
>  Could some reading this that has samba installed on a FreeBSD 3.3 machine
>  please try this just so that I know that I am not going insane?

	There was a patch added to the samba port ( after 3.3 I believe ) to
address this very issue.  I would try a fresh 3.3 install, cvsup the
ports collection, install samba from the ports and try your test again.
For info on the patch see :

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/net/samba/patches/patch-ah

	I also believe this will be addressed in samba-2.0.6 I think.

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu