Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 07:53:59 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        jason schwab <jasonschwab@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Enabling more ttys...

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 12:18:47AM -0500, jason schwab wrote:

> I set in the kernel config pty 256, and I did makedev pty7, and pty6
> which enabled /dev/ttyR* and /dev/ttyQ* and thier listed in /etc/ttys
> but it wont use them, only 32 ppl can login, i need more ttys..
> any ideas, thankx

Go to /sys/i386/conf, edit your kernel config file (or start a new one
based on the GENERIC file) and increase the amount of ttys at the line

	pseudo-device	pty	32	# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)

to suit your needs.

If you don't know anything about kernel configuration, the handbook
section 5 is a good point for beginning. Don't write a new kernel
config file from scratch, start with the GENERIC kernel config file
and change it as you need.

Regards,

Martin
--
 /| /|        | /| /            ,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities,
/ |/ | artin  |/ |/ elk                     if you're knowing to take them,