Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 18:14:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INDEX file

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Eric L. Hernes wrote:

> Chuck Robey writes:
> >On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Eric L. Hernes wrote:
> >

> >> Is this file machine generated?
> >
> >It is.  Using the Makefile in /usr/ports, make index.
> >

> What's the recommeded way to update this for new
> ports?  Wait 'til cron? updates /usr/ports, then run it
> there, or do I have to check out the whole ports tree?

Satoshi does it once in while.  I don't think it's all that important to
keep it right up to date, actually.  Users can run it on their own systems
to get a current list.

When I did it once on my home system (when I was using ctm to keep current
on ports, not cvs) it changed the INDEX file, and then ctm told me to get
lost as far as further updates went, INDEX being one of the files it
checks (when Satoshi rebuilds it).  I would not worry about it, myself,
since I can see you're updating the Makefiles in the category subdirs, and
that's what's used to keep things current.

> >----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
> >Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
> >chuckr@eng.umd.edu          | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
> >9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
> >Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and n3lxx, both FreeBSD
> >(301) 220-2114              | version 2.2 current -- and great FUN!
> >

> eric.
> --
> erich@lodgenet.com
> http://rrnet.com/~erich erich@rrnet.com