Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:57:16 +0900
From:      Takanori Watanabe <takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbus and modem(s)

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9904190929070.85882-100000@herring.nlsystems.com>, Do
ug Rabson wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp wrote:
>> Simple Question.
>> If there were 'Closed'-Host-Controller-Interface with object-only driver,
>> Can the vendor make the Host controller  recognized without changing
>> usb.c code?
>>
>> #That's what frustrated me while writing driver for smbus controller.
>
>It really depends on the nature of the bus. For plug-and-play style busses
>such as USB and PCI, the controller can decide what devices exist without
>the help of drivers and can then uniquely match them with the right
>driver.  This trivially allows drivers to be added after the system is
>running.

I don't mention on upstream driver such as 'ukbd'
(I think such device can be add truly dynamic),but I mention on
'host-controller' like [ou]hci.

What I ask is what shall I do if there is a downstream driver without
declared DRIVER_MODULE on upstream bus.Are there any way without changing
upstream bus code?

Takanori Watanabe
Public Key</a>
Key fingerprint =  2C 51 E2 78 2C E1 C5 2D  0F F1 20 A3 11 3A 62 2A