Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:19:05 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libkern/quad.h

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> quad.h contains:
> ---snip---
> /*
>  * XXX
>  * Compensate for gcc 1 vs gcc 2.  Gcc 1 defines ?sh?di3's second argument
>  * as u_quad_t, while gcc 2 correctly uses int.  Unfortunately, we still use
>  * both compilers.
>  */
> #if __GNUC__ >= 2
> typedef unsigned int    qshift_t;
> #else
> typedef u_quad_t        qshift_t;
> #endif
> ---snip---
>
> Is this still valid? Does someone really use gcc 1 to compile FreeBSD?

This became invalid before FreeBSD-2.0 was released.

Most special cases to support gcc's before approx 2.7 are now bogus.
Unlike the above, most of them are just for optimizations or for better
diagnostics, so removing them shouldn't break compiling with old versions
of gcc any more than not having the for other C compilers breaks compiling
with other C compilers.

Bruce