Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:38:56 +0100
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Rich Healey <healey.rich@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH Brute Force attempts

Hi,

On 30 Sep 2008, at 01:10, Rich Healey wrote:

> Recently I'm getting a lot of brute force attempts on my server, in
> the
> past I've used various tips and tricks with linux boxes but many of
> them
> were fairly linux specific.
>
> What do you BSD guys use for this purpose?

[various solutions proposed]

I too would worry about having something automatically updating filter
rulesets. An alternative is to blackhole route the offending source, eg:

route -nq add -host a.b.c.d 127.0.0.1 -blackhole

WHatever solution you adopt, the ability to whitelist is a very good
idea (especially if you are as inaccurate a typist as I am). And I'd
second what others have said about avoiding passwords altogether if
it's possible in your situation.

--
Bob Bishop          +44 (0)118 940 1243
rb@gid.co.uk    fax +44 (0)118 940 1295