Date:      Mon, 22 May 2006 15:17:29 -0400
From:      Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        "Daan Vreeken \[PA4DAN\]" <Danovitsch@vitsch.net>, Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, Arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resend with subject: No more non-MPSAFE network device drivers, please!

--nextPart67549360.mrISMqu43M

On Monday 22 May 2006 14:37, Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] wrote:
> On Monday 22 May 2006 16:10, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> > Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > > Per discussion at the developer summit, a significant rewrite
> > > of the USB code is needed to make it MPSAFE.  Volunteers
> > > welcome.
> >
> > HP Selasky claims to have a working Giant-free USB stack:
>
> (added him to the 'cc' list)
>
> > http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/usb4bsd/index.html
> >
> > No idea how well it works, though.
>
> I have been running his USB driver on a production server for
> months here without a single problem. I use his ugen implementation
> to communicate with a custom made USB device. On FreeBSD's USB
> driver a stress test would fail after max 40,000 requests.
I've got a patch in a PR that fixes several ugen issues.

> With his=20
> USB driver I have successfully made over 30,000,000 requests before
> stopping the test manually.
>
> There is a problem with his code though. (At least, there was back
> when I last looked at it, correct me if I'm wrong.) He has
> completely rewritten the OHCI, UHCI and EHCI parts, but kept the
> original (network, storage, etc) drivers. For the original drivers
> to work he has added some wrapper functions. Back when I looked
> these wrappers didn't work out of the box for the devices I have
> tried.
> All "old" drivers need to be converter to "new world order" for
> them to work properly.
>
> That's the only problem I have been having with his driver : You
> get a better USB stack, but with less working drivers.
> I think it would be great to get his code into -current, but some
> developers would have to help out to convert the existing drivers.
I'd be willing to help convert drivers if we can get the code into the=20
tree (maybe as usb-ng?).  Setting up a bounty for this stuff may be=20
worthwhile since having a solid USB stack would be a boon for=20
everyone.
I'm not sure if it's possible with the HPS driver, but it would be=20
nice if every USB device could expose ugen endpoints along with their=20
device specific nodes.

=2D-=20
Anish Mistry