Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 21:44:14 -0500
From:      Ben WIlliams <williamsl@Home.Com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: kernel compile succeeds but is unusable, take two

Hello Mike,

Thursday, December 02, 1999, 19:14:26 noAuth, you wrote:

>>    It was suggested to me that I should post my config file along with
>> the exact commands I issue to build my kernel so here they are.
>> # device                npx0    at isa? port IO_NPX irq 13
>> device          npx0    at isa? port IO_NPX

MS> Why did you do this?  You MUST NOT dink with this line.

>> # pseudo-device pty     16

MS> Taking pty's out is a bad idea too.

I changed with that line because that's the last thing that shows
during a boot of a new kernel and I figured that it must be
misallocating or misreading something to do with the npx.

dmesg contains:
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface

...why is IRQ set to 13 on the npx0 line? Maybe I should change the 13
to a 16? (Or actually a 15 .. IIRC IRQ's go from 0-15 or 0x0-0xf.) The
next thing that happens when booting with the GENERIC kernel is it
installs the pentium f00f hack.

   I put the pty's back in and reverted the npx line to the original
way it was and I'm building the kernel again now.
   I got a different Instruction Pointer at the crash which translates
to:
bash-2.03$ nm /kernel | grep -i "c019d4"
c019d418 T cninit_finish
c019d474 t cnuninit
c019d4cc t sysctl_kern_consmute
bash-2.03$

   In order to build this kernel I edited the DELTA_9 file:
Changed ident to "DELTA_9.1"
Reverted the npx0 line to its original form
Removed the line for pn1
Uncommented the pty line

More help please! I don't understand why this machine is being
recalcitrant about compiling the kernel. I've compiled kernels on my
AMD K6/350 and a P][/233 without any of this kind of trouble. What
have I done?

--
 Ben                            mailto:williamsl@Home.Com