Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 22:16:32 +0200
From:      Natey on IRC <natey@capetown.za.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, scm@school.za, bje@wcape.school.za
Cc:        goolam@cttc.wcape.school.za, louis@cttc.wcape.school.za
Subject:   URGENT HELP!!!!! Partition Table vanished *zapped by rebooting server*

Hi all,

Is there any way to recover one's partition table.  Basically what happened
is that I rebooted my FreeBSD server and I got that "INVALID SYSTEM DISK"
message, even though I have the following:

8.4Mb HDD
 - 4Gig MS-DOS Parition (For Samba Shares / Home Dirs)
 - 4Gig FreeBSD Partition (Development Partition)
650Mb HDD
 - 650Mb MS-DOS Partition (For Samba Shares / Home Dirs)

I used to be able to boot into Win95/FreeBSD using F1 and F2 resp. but when
I rebooted the machine this morning I got the "INVALID SYSTEM DISK" message.

I created a Win95 bootdisk and did a fdisk /mbr so that I can at least boot
up into Win95.  Is there any way I can get access to the FreeBSD Partition
so that I can get all my development source code?  I need to get a copy of
my CVS tree into Windowz so that I can reinstall my FreeBSD stuff without
loosing the CVS respository.  The last backup (.tar.gz of the CVS respos. I
have is from the 24th November 1999 [which does not include all the stuff I
worked on this weekend]).
Normally the FreeBSD Boxen is running FreeBSD, except when I drag the
boxxie along to clients or to LAN parties.

I figured out a way a few years back, but alas I cannot remember it.  I
cannot even get the baddly created wallnut creak cdrom's "LIVE" cd to work.

Regards
Natey